To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Markus Stumpf <maex-lists-dns-ietf-dnsop@Space.Net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 21:28:13 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-04.txt

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 05:32:12PM -0500, Rob Austein wrote:
> Does anybody -else- have comments on this draft?  In particular: does
> anybody who has not yet spoken on this have an opinion on whether the
> WG should be working on this?

What I am missing is some kind of requirement of usefulness of the
IN-ADDR data. We have
    Internet providers and other users to whom a block of addresses are
    delegated SHOULD provide for lookup of host names from IP addresses.

Do PTR records within the following list qualify for the above statement,
i.e. do they qualify as "host names"?
(I picked those examples from a scrolling maillog file, so the listed hosts
are picked at random and not for the purpose to offend anyone)

    unknown.level3.net				64.157.143.50
    67.106.228.14.ptr.us.xo.net			67.106.228.14
    200-170-198-6.core01.spo.ifx.net.br		200.170.198.6
    0x50a2eb04.unknown.tele.dk			80.162.235.4

If these are considered to be valid "host names" it would IMHO be nice
if the, obviously generated, names mapping the IP address would also
carry some CIDR information. A naming scheme like in RFC 2317 could be
used:

Suppose you have two /25 for two different customers (no delegation)
   10.0.1.0/25		10.0.1.128/25
then the scheme could be (as with the above used hosts)

    10.0.1.0/25.0.rev.example.net.
    10.0.1.0/25.1.rev.example.net.
    10.0.1.0/25.2.rev.example.net.
    [ ... ]
    10.0.1.0/25.127.rev.example.net.

    10.0.1.128/25.128.rev.example.net.
    10.0.1.128/25.129.rev.example.net.
    [ ... ]
    10.0.1.128/25.255.rev.example.net.

This would help especially in cases where no assignment information
beyond /16 is available from the RIR databases to block out abusive
hosts/nets without risking collateral damage.

IMHO recommending this would be nice, but maybe this is beyond the
objective of that draft.

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299