To: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
cc: vixie@vix.com, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:40:05 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: What problem were we trying to solve again? (was Re: Radical

That would be fine, except that some people like Vixie and others tend to
write software that puts reverse map entries in log files. Then
consultants go in and try to figure out who rooted a server, and find
bogus reverse entries, and no IP addresses.  The culprit gets away because
someone told people (or implemented it directly) that they can use reverse
as a way to determine the relationship between the network operator and
the host operator.  They also mislead people about the use of reverse, so
that your assertion (according to them, anyway) that "no one is forcing
[me] to populate reverse maps" is false.  Vixie again repeats the
assertion that not having reverse is a sign something is broken, in his
last email on the subject.

The rest of your argument seems to be completely IPV4 specific. We are
talking about an IPV6 problem. There are no reverse maps for IPv6, and
there are problems creating them.  There is also no need (for tools like
traceroute) in IPv6 to have reverse because there are alternatives such as
ICMP node identification.

The people who feel so strongly for reverse want us to undertake
considerable effort to make reverse work in IPV6, including eliminating
certain structure. This is a waste of time, for the harms given, and for
the reason that there are adequate alternatives in IPV6.

		--Dean