To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Rob Austein <sra+dnsop@hactrn.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:05:30 -0500
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [RETRANSMIT] Re: Radical Surgery proposal: stop doingreverse for IPv6.

At Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:48:37 -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> If anyone has valid uses for reverse DNS, I say let them speak for
> themselves.

<hat wg-chair=off just-another-bozo-on-this-bus=on>

Traceroute and various related debugging and monitoring tasks where
hostile intent, while possible, is less likely than dumb mistakes.
Yes, dumb mistakes can include DNS setup, but one can often extract
useful clues anyway.

MTA logs, where even in cases of hostile intent, the entity whose name
goes into the log is often just another victim.

The point is not that anybody in their right mind would -trust-
reverse DNS in the sense of making critical decisions based solely on
data that one finds there, but it's frequently a source of additional
data that some of us find useful, and sometimes it's easier to extract
information from the DNS then confirm it via other means than it would
be to figure out what's going on without using reverse DNS.

I don't buy the argument that we need to abolish reverse DNS just
because some people misuse it.

</hat>