To: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
Cc: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Kevin Darcy <kcd@daimlerchrysler.com>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:50:46 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: [RETRANSMIT] Re: Radical Surgery proposal: stop doingreverse for IPv6.

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 02:35:03PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:

> A reality check is indeed in order.  Perception is not the same as
> reality.  As you note, the usefulness is _perceived_.  The perceptions
> that are inconsistent with reality need to be changed.  It is the role of
> the IETF to promote standards that are consistent with reality, not to
> promote demonstrably false and harmful perceptions.

I suggest we demote DNS while we are at it too, then. TCP can also easily be
sniffed so is probabably just as ripe for deprecation.

People are not going to drop things because the IETF has not decided to
issue guidance. In fact, issuing guidance is *all* that you should expect
this kind of standards body to do. People will do things anyhow, if you
specifiy them or not. If you do not specify anything, they will do it worse.

But I'm leaving this discussion - you and I obviously disagree about the
realities of life.

Regards,

bert

http://netherlabs.nl                         Consulting