To: john.loughney@nokia.com
cc: Erik.Nordmark@Sun.COM, <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, <ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:45:38 +0200 (EET)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: dns discovery for agenda? [Re: chairs and charter]

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 john.loughney@nokia.com wrote:
> I agree that any solution needs to take these 2 issues into
> account.  In summary, the problems seem to be:
>
> 1) Ordering of solutions: which to try first and when to try the 2nd.
> 2) How to resolve conflicting information.
>
> Both of these, I think are solvable, but I do agree that the solution
> needs to propose them.

Perhaps I'm naive but "implementation-specific" would be good enough for
me.

Consider the case with IPv4.  You've manually configured a couple of DNS
servers, then run DHCPv4 to get an address and DNS servers.

Do you have to specify how to handle the case?

The latest wins.

Specifying too exactly how to handle these cases may be a rathole, and not
essential.  If the users are not pleased with the result, they *will* just
disable the mechanism producing results they don't like.