To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@ripe.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:51:43 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Radical Surgery proposal: stop doing reverse for IPv6.

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, George Michaelson wrote:

> On 19 Mar 2003 15:25:12 +0000 Paul Vixie <vixie@vix.com> wrote:
>
> > ggm@apnic.net (George Michaelson) writes:
> >
> > > Radical Surgery proposal: stop doing reverse for IPv6.
> >
> > i think this is the wrong approach.  at a minimum, folks want to be able
> > to postprocess their transaction logs at the end of a day and still be
> > able to do gethostbyaddr() even if many of the nodes that came to theirh
> > web servers (or whatever) are by that time offline or unreachable.
>
> 12pm midnight local time, every machine combines to do a DDOS on the DNS,
> walking their logfiles. doesn't sound good to me.

Its already a fact of life.  There are many 'transaction log' processing
scripts around, eg making pretty graphs out of http logs (for instance,
'webalizer').  These are run daily on the previous day's logs, and a lot
do reference the DNS to get their information.

Yes, some of that information is wrong since the DNS cannot always be
trusted, and there are better, more reliable ways of obtaining the
information (which aren't available to everyone), but there is this
activity happening every day, and its not a DDOS.

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security