To: Ed Sawicki <ed@alcpress.com>
Cc: bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Jim Reid <Jim.Reid@nominum.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:42:03 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Why one port?

    Ed> Oh, it looks like my opinions would not be completely
    Ed> unpopular here.  Still, is this the right place for criticism
    Ed> of ICANN, BIND, AXFR, DNSSEC, Verisign/NSI, conflicting RFCs,
    Ed> etc.? I'd planned on sticking to specific technical aspects of
    Ed> DNS but questions like "Beats changing the whole internet,
    Ed> no?" leaves little room for avoiding controversial issues.

There are plenty of places where you can vent your spleen about your
pet peeves. Most of them are not relevant to this list. You can work
out which ones may be appropriate from the charter of this WG and its
mailing list:

	The DNS Operations Working Group will develop guidelines for
	the operation DNS name servers and the administration of DNS
	zone files. These guidelines will provide technical
	information relating to the implementation of the DNS protocol
	by the operators and administrators of DNS domains.

You invited controversy by making a suggestion which would mean
changing every DNS server and client on the internet. And annoying
IANA. You didn't give a valid reason for that change. Other than it
would be convenient for the almost unique constraints that are imposed
on the way you operate your name server.