To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
cc: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@autonomica.se>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Philip Hazel <ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:40:22 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Minneapolis - agenda items please.

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Robert Elz wrote:

> I won't be in Minneapolis so I don't care anyway, but the agenda should
> be to finish (or at least progress) any pending work that the WG has in
> its charter.   What that might be the WG chair should have a handle on.
> If there is no pending work, or none that seems to need meeting time,
> there shouldn't be a WG meeting (they're not mandatory).

I won't be in Minneapolis either, but I would like to progress the ID
that I'm editing: draft-ietf-dnsop-dontpublish-unreachable-03.txt. There
has been very little comment on that draft. Just

  (a) One minor clarification rewording.
  (b) A controversy over whether to include an explicit list of non-global
      networks. Views for and against have been expressed. Currently
      there is no list (I am on the anti side).

Is it possible to move this ID into WG Last Call? The minor re-wording
can go into the next draft. The detail of this change is:

Current draft:

6.4 Specification of no SMTP service

   MX records that point to host names whose address records specify the
   loopback address have been seen in the DNS. This seems to be a
   misguided attempt to specify "no SMTP service for this domain" more
   positively than just refusing connections to the SMTP port. (A refused
   connection is treated as a temporary error, because it might be the
   result of a system rebooting, for example.)

   If such a facility is required, it SHOULD instead be done by
   arranging for the hosts in question to return

     554 No SMTP service here

   to all SMTP connections.

Proposal is to reword the final paragraph to read as follows:

    If such a facility is required, it SHOULD instead be done by
    arranging for the hosts listed in a domain's MX records to return
    a 554 error response, either on initial connection, or following a
    RCPT command for an address in a domain for which there is no
    service.

Philip

ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

Home | Date list | Subject list