To: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: jerry scharf <scharf@vix.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:55:00 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: SRV records - when?

Daniel,

If you want to guarantee that the secure and non-secure servers are the
same, you don't want SRV as I see it. Since the whole idea of SRVs is to
present a controlled choice setup, you shouldn't use it for things that you
don't want choice.

When you switch from the shopping cart to the checkout, and you've designed
your system so that the information is local, send them to a A record https
host that is the one with the shopping cart info. You don't want SRV here,
because if the host with the shopping cart doesn't catch the https
connection in a transient way, the user will get sent to the next host, get
to a host with an empty shopping cart and be confused.

If you don't use SRV when you don't want choice, you won't have a problem
with SRV records.

If someone designs a systems like this, and it's (IMO) not robust against
host failures, they get what they designed. no way for any DNS trick to fix
this. If you don't use same value round robin with this, then again the SRV
linkage problem goes away.

I don't think this rationale is compelling to make any changes to SRV.

jerry

Home | Date list | Subject list