To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Date: 10 Feb 2002 17:01:48 -0000
Automatic-Legal-Notices: See http://cr.yp.to/mailcopyright.html.
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: SRV records - when?

ed@alcpress.com writes:
> Web browsers are
> not smart enough to move on to the next address should the
> web server at the first/selected address not be reachable.

Really? Which browsers? Have you pointed out RFC 1123, section 2.3? This
is not a SRV-specific issue.

In my experience, web browsers _do_ connect to multiple addresses, but
users give up in annoyance before the second address is tried.

This is why tcpclient (http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/tcpclient.html) uses a
fast connection strategy: try all the addresses with 2-second timeouts,
then try again with 58-second timeouts. Try asking browser authors to
adopt the same feature. The benefit to users is obvious.

  [ load balancing on the server side ]
> The short TTLs that are required cause more bandwidth to be consumed.

``Premature optimization is the root of all evil.'' How many bytes of
DNS traffic do you see every day? How many bytes of HTTP traffic do you
see every day?

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago

Home | Date list | Subject list