To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: ed@alcpress.com
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 08:12:57 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: SRV records - when?

On 10 Feb 2002, at 7:59, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

> ed@alcpress.com writes:
> > This is a problem for me and many other small businessmen
> > who want fault tolerance for our ecommerce web sites.
>
> Why not simply set up a bunch of A records, like everybody else?

That doesn't solve the fault tolerance problem. Web browsers
are
not smart enough to move on to the next address should the
web server at the first/selected address not be reachable.

This forces me do devise an inadequate and extraordinary
technique for making my DNS smart - each site checking the
other's health and adjusting zone files accordingly. Then,
for those running BIND, having the DNS server unavailable
temporarily as the zones are reloaded. The short TTLs
that are required cause more bandwidth to be consumed.
SRV support in the browser would be much better and
easier.

Ed

> ---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
> Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago

Home | Date list | Subject list