To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Kevin Darcy <kcd@daimlerchrysler.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:01:42 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-02.txt

I oppose adoption/advancement of the draft. Not only are the security
justifications null and void, I think they actually *detract* from the other
justifications inasmuch as they promote/encourage bad security practices and/or
risk creating a False Sense of Security. I have personal experience of this
since many people here have in the past adopted use of the inherently-insecure
"r-series" commands (rlogin, rsh, etc.) based partly on the fact that we
provide consistent and reliable in-addr.arpa mappings in our internal DNS.
Using IP addresses in the .rhosts files would have been more
maintenance-intensive for these individuals and made this choice less palatable
for them.

in-addr.arpa mappings are a *convenience*. Every organization should be free to
decide for themselves whether the convenience of in-addr.arpa mappings is worth
the time, effort and ultimately the cost of setting up and maintaining them.
Mandating something that is not (or *should*not* be, see comments about
security above) necessary for interoperability, and which many folks will just
ignore anyway seems like a waste of time and effort and makes DNSOP look
foolish or at least out of touch with reality.

- Kevin

Daniel Senie wrote:

> The minutes from the London meeting were just posted. I'd told the chair
> well in advance that I would not be at the meeting. My work and travel
> schedule often do not permit me to make all 3 IETF meetings in a given year.
>
> At the previous meeting the chair asked if there was interest in the draft,
> and there appeared strong support. I've received a LOT of comments and
> feedback on this draft, and there seems to be support. I am confused by the
> chair's comments, as reported by the scribe, that if there isn't strong
> support, the draft will be discarded.
>
> If the WG doesn't have any interest in this draft, I will resubmit it once
> again as an independent submission. It's not going to be "discarded" as
> such. I will continue to push this document with or without the WG.
>
> Whether the document's focus is the same as it originally was is arguable.
> At Minneapolis, there was strong support for having the document discourage
> the use of INADDR as a security mechanism, yet continue to push people to
> implement INADDR.
>
> I'd like to get a sense of whether the WG wants me to continue this
> document under the auspices of the group, or take it back to individual
> contribution status, where it started.

Home | Date list | Subject list