To: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Cc: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
Date: 05 Sep 2001 14:16:25 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-02.txt

Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com> writes:

> At 11:18 AM -0400 9/3/01, Daniel Senie wrote:
> >At the previous meeting the chair asked if there was interest in the draft,
> >and there appeared strong support. I've received a LOT of comments and
> >feedback on this draft, and there seems to be support. I am confused by the
> >chair's comments, as reported by the scribe, that if there isn't strong
> >support, the draft will be discarded.
>
> My take on the comments regarding this draft was that the chair wants to
> hear a "non-security" reason why a reverse map is required.  In other
> words, the rationales based upon some legacy applications performing
> authorizations based on the reverse lookup are not sufficient to require
> reverse map.
>
> IMHO,  there are two things for the group (of supporters) can do.  One is
> to document reasons that WG chair will find acceptable.  The other is to
> argue more strongly that security-based reasons are sufficient.
>
> Personally - I don't understand why security reasons are insufficient.  I
> am saying this not in disagreement, but from a lack of understanding.
> (Perhaps I need to search the archives when I have better bandwidth.)

As I see it, the issue is not that security reasons per se is
insufficient cause to promote the draft, but that those security
reasons are mostly false.

That said, I am also in favour of the draft, but I think that the
request for a "non-security reason" is valid.

Regards,

Johan

Home | Date list | Subject list