To: Roy Arends <Roy.Arends@nominum.com>
Cc: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>, Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:07:51 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 06:07:23PM +0200, Roy Arends wrote:

> > ns2.i.am - these cover around 4000 domains, including the widely used
> > 'i.am' one.
> Ah, yeah, but it will be fairly difficult to do an assesment of ID
> randomness in the received queries (unless incremental).
> I am interested in the survey results, could you dump your results on the
> lists ?

I'm still busy processing stuff, but some interesting plots are these:

A very special implementation of random:
	http://ds9a.nl/pub/notrandom.png

This is bind4 I think:
	http://ds9a.nl/pub/minnie-random.png

W2K Nameserver I think:
	http://ds9a.nl/pub/210.244.182.61.53.png

The X axis plots seconds since midnight (I started measuring around half
past 10PM, ended around 11AM the next day). The Y axis is the DNS query id.
In the upper right hand side you can find the IP address of the recursing
nameserver.

The W2K nameserver might be smart enough to generate id's per remote IP
address, and therefore be deterministically safe, instead of 'just random'.

I really hope to publish something soon but my spare time is not that
copious..

Regards,

bert

Home | Date list | Subject list