To: moore@cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore)
Cc: jhma@KPNQwest.net (James Aldridge), seamus@bit-net.com (Jim Bound), crawdad@fnal.gov (Matt Crawford), ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 02:06:23 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

%
% Seems like we really need a group to study how to do renumbering.
% Such a group needs to consider not just DNS but everything that
% renumbering affects - e.g. DNS, routers, hosts, firewalls, applications
% using address-based authentication, long-running applications, and
% large-scale distributed applications.  We need to consider the
% whole process of renumbering rather than trying to solve the problem
% in a piecemeal fashion.
%
% Keith
%

	PIER did look at renumbering from the IPv4 perspective.
	We explicitly did not consider IPv6 issues as IPv6 was
	still newly hatched. Perhaps it is time to revisit PIER
	in light of the current state of IPv6.

	If there is interest,   pier-request@isi.edu

--
--bill