To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, James Aldridge <jhma@KPNQwest.net>
Cc: Jim Bound <seamus@bit-net.com>, Matt Crawford <crawdad@fnal.gov>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:43:18 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS summary

At 02:23 PM 8/7/01, Keith Moore wrote:
>Seems like we really need a group to study how to do renumbering.
>Such a group needs to consider not just DNS but everything that
>renumbering affects - e.g. DNS, routers, hosts, firewalls, applications
>using address-based authentication, long-running applications, and
>large-scale distributed applications.  We need to consider the
>whole process of renumbering rather than trying to solve the problem
>in a piecemeal fashion.
>
>Keith

This could be a worthwhile undertaking. There are two possible aspects of
such a group: developing protocols and standards to lessen the effort in
renumbering, and providing information on how to survive renumbering in the
present world.

An example of providing information would be a handbook for the
administrator facing a move to a new colo. Getting the timing of Registry
changes (for TLD zone NS glue), DNS changes, and server changes done in
proper order requires significant planning. I suspect many folks just get
it wrong, and suffer with outages for longer than they need to. Having a
document to enumerate the steps to follow could be a good deliverable of
such a group.

Daniel Senie                                        dts@senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com

Home | Date list | Subject list