To: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
cc: ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 11:51:15 -0400
Subject: Re: Joint DNSEXT & NGTRANS agenda

> Wrong. Server-side indirection never causes loops. You would
> understand this if you read my web page:
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/killa6.html

I read your web page (just now) and I don't understand that
server-side indirection never causes loops.  Before the isc.org server
can serve the address of ftp.isc.org, it has to have looked up the
address of isrv4.pa.vix.com.  If the pa.vix.com server is
misconfigured and has a "server-side cname" pointing back to
ftp.isc.org, it could be unable to serve the isrv4.pa.vix.com address
before looking up the address of ftp.isc.org.  That sounds like a loop
to me.  The two servers might detect the loop and behave
intelligently, but so can a client.

Home | Date list | Subject list