To: kre@munnari.OZ.AU
Cc: dufberg@nic-se.se, namedroppers@artemas.reachin.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Havard Eidnes <he@runit.no>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:07:11 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Tips for DNS zone administration

>   | or do you mean
>   | namn.se. soa ()
>   |          ns  namn.se.
>   |          mx  namn.se.
>   |          a   192.0.2.10
>
> That one, along with
>
> 	namn.se. soa (...)
> 		 ns  www.nanm.se.
> 	www	 a   192.0.2.10
>
> are about the two worst examples, as there there's no
> possibility at all to change the name if the old address simply
> won't go away (people keep getting 192.0.2.10 as the A record
> long after you've changed it, and you can't work out why).

Isn't this in some sense putting the cart before the horse?

I mean, the actual problem is being able to track down where glue
records are being maintained.  If folks only maintained "required"
glue records, it would be a simple matter of tracing the zone path
from the name of the name server itself to the root of the DNS
hierarchy and update any glue records there, and that is, IMHO, as
easy as this ought to be.

Besides, reasonably modern versions of name server software already
discard glue records which are not in a child zone, which should at
least in theory alleviate this problem.

Just my $0.02.

- Håvard

Home | Date list | Subject list