To: "'Edward Lewis'" <lewis@tislabs.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "Larson, Matt" <mlarson@verisign.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:05:49 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: RR distribution by type?

> The distribution might vary widely by depth, etc., of the zone.

Agreed.  But it's the leaves I'm interested in, since the TLD zones are
predictably dull: just NS and A records.

> Not to be facetious, I'd be curious what the distribution is in .com
> (percentages would be good enough).  This would impact a lot
> of areas - some places are sensitive to how many zones a server serves
> (ie the ratio of NS to glue A's).

The com, net and org zones are available for public download.  More info is
at http://www.verisign-grs.com/dns/dnspro.html.

I was going to give you a quick percentage of A and NS records (to total
records) in the com zone, but I don't have a recent copy lying around on my
local machine and it's time-consuming to grab and uncompress it (working on
it now).  If you can tell me more specifically what you're looking for, I'll
run some stats for you on com, net and org.

Matt
--
Matt Larson <mlarson@verisign.com>
VeriSign Global Registry Services / www.verisign-grs.com