To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@apnic.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 05:26:21 +1000 (EST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DNS transition

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Ashley Kitto wrote:

> In message <E14foIT-00042r-00@roam.psg.com>, Randy Bush writes:
> >you seem to have missed the point that the particular diagram with a v6-only
> >root actually partitioned the internet.  if you don't like new.net, then you

Yes, it will partition the 'net.  When (seriously) will a v6-only
root-server suite happen (by turning off the remaining v4 roots) ?  Not
for a long time, probably a few years after the release of RFC7654 - 'IPv4
and Why are we still bothering with it?' [1].

( Randy, I get the point.  I also understand that a v6-only root won't
  happen for decades, and may not happen if people (then) really-really
  want to keep IPv4 around. )

> >won't like this.  if you do like new.net (and other partitionings), i
> >suspect you are in the wrong meeting.
>
> Doesn't any machine with an IPv6-only stack partition the internet in more
> fundamental ways?

In that it can only reach other v6-stack'd machines?  Yes.  To avoid a
partitioning of the 'net, some sort of v4<->v6 translator(s) will be
needed for a very long time, until the last v4-specific stack goes away,
or gets otherwise shot.

By the same token, if you enable nameservers on v6 *without* having the
same data available via v4, you have effectively partitioned your part of
the DNS tree.  This includes doing such stupid things as having divergent
zone data depending on whether your v4 nameserver(s) is hit, or your v6
nameserver(s) is hit.

--==--
Bruce.

[1] I will be very surprised if I get that right.

Home | Date list | Subject list