To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Måns Nilsson <mansaxel@nic-se.se>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 14:51:27 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Bogus nic.fr behavior

Subject: Re: Bogus nic.fr behavior Date: Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 12:45:01PM +0000 Quoting James Raftery (james-dnsop@domainregistry.ie):
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 01:06:54PM +0100, Måns Nilsson wrote:
> > All good considerations. But if you automate testing, how do you discren
> > between the master and slave?
>
> Why do you need to? TCP is required for AXFR, but AXFR isn't required.
> If I choose not to use AXFR to replicate my zone data then I don't need
> TCP and you don't need to know which server is master or slave for your
> tests.

You are way above the cluon level of the general MCP who is "Internet
Expert" at the web hotels we deal with. And therein lies the core of
the problem. Do we operate the net as if it was still only operated
by skilled people who know what a RFC is and even has read one, or do
we accept that we might have to use a little less elegant solution in
order to increase yield? Most of us wearing the Protocol hat would go for
perfectionism. But some who do actual work might opt for function..

> FWIW, the .IE delegation checker doesn't look for TCP service.

Neither do we.
--
Måns Nilsson			DNS Technichian
+46 709 174 840			NIC-SE