To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
cc: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>, <ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com>, <users@ipv6.org>, <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Antonio Querubin <tony@lava.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 01:19:10 -1000 (HST)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: IPv6 dns

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Robert Elz wrote:

> When was the last time you (or anyone) looked up addresses for any
> of the hundreds of systems in MU CSSE student labs?   I suspect never,
> and I'm not in the least surprised.   Think they never get renumbered?

Let's take just a typical student lab workstation.  How many times would
it probably be renumbered in a year?  DHCP leases may be short but clients
tend to get the same address back week after week, month after month.  If
the addresses are statically assigned, is it more or less likely the
network it's on would be renumbered during that year?

Now, how many times would the same single workstation access some shell
server, or web server, or mail server, or whatever, somewhere out on the
net during that year?  How about in just one day?  Of those servers that
it accesses, how many of those would attempt to perform a reverse-map
check of the client address in some form, either at the moment of access,
or later when some sysadmin is going over some syslogs and doing a
periodic audit, or when some automated logging system spits out a report?

The average user may not bother looking up addresses but machines
sometimes do and sometimes often.

Home | Date list | Subject list