To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, users@ipv6.org, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 15:27:51 +0700
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: IPv6 dns

    Date:        Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:28:36 -0800
    From:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>

  | as fred succintly said, how often does renumbering occur?  how often do
  | lookups occur?  so, for which should we optimize?

Depends what the user of the number, surely?   There are many (current
IPv4, and so one would presume, quite possibly IPv6 as well) addresses
that are changed much more frequently than anyone ever looks them up
in the DNS (name -> address translations).

In fact, aside from a (comparatively small) set of major servers,
etc, that set just might be almost the entire net.

When was the last time you (or anyone) looked up addresses for any
of the hundreds of systems in MU CSSE student labs?   I suspect never,
and I'm not in the least surprised.   Think they never get renumbered?

So, for which was it that we should optimise?  Is the answer really
as obvious as that rhetorical looking question makes it appear?

kre

Home | Date list | Subject list