To: Jim Bound <seamus@bit-net.com>
CC: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com, users@ipv6.org, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:21:27 -0600
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: (ngtrans) Re: IPv6 dns

Well, as I recall the earlier discussion, this rather depends on the expected
frequency and overhead of renumbering.

If the (frequency*overhead) of renumberings is comparable to the
(frequency*overhead) of lookups, we have to optimize for both.

Renumbering frequency depends on whether we believe that sites will
indeed be renumbered whenever they change ISP (or upstream ISP).
That was certainly Plan A and lies behind the whole concept of
TLA addressing. On that assumption we could certainly expect hundreds
of renumberings per day. (Which is of course a lot less than
millions of lookups per second.)

Renumbering overhead is presumably measured in units of zone
transfers.

  Brian