To: "Randy Bush" <randy@psg.com>, "Bill Manning" <bmanning@isi.edu>
Cc: <perry@wasabisystems.com>, <seamus@bit-net.com>, <users@ipv6.org>, <dnsop@cafax.se>, <ngtrans@sunroof.eng.sun.com>
From: "Christian Huitema" <huitema@exchange.microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:32:27 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: RE: (ngtrans) Re: IPv6 dns

OK, let's try a middle ground here. There is a requirement to field IPv6
only machines in the net. To work well, these machines should be able to
resolve names by sending DNS requests over IPv6. This means that, in
order to resolve a name, these machines should be able to process NS
records, find the list of the name servers associated to the domain, and
find at least one server in the list that has at least one IPv6 address.
Normally, post processing rules should ensure that this is done in a
single pass, the A6 or AAAA records being carried as additional
information.

During a trial, this can be done by operating on a trial subtree for
names. Something like <example>.ipv6dns.org. During the transition,
however, we want to progressively publish A6 records for the name
servers of regular domains. Obviously, any domain manager can do this on
their own initiative: for example, Microsoft could add an NS record
pointing to a v6 capable server under "microsoft.com". However, this
impacts the general infrastructure, since the servers for microsoft.com
and their address must be provided by the ".com" server.  Randy has a
first point there: we have to understand the potential impact of serving
A6 records to vanilla .com users; we may have to set up a conservative
rule, such as only serving these records if the query for the .com user
was received over IPv6. Or maybe we need not be that conservative; but
we should try. And, maybe, just maybe, we should not try first with
".com."

The same indeed apply for the root itself. If we say that ".com" will
only provide A6 records in the additional section if the query was
received over IPv6, then we must find a way to publish the IPv6 address
of the suitable .com server, and that must be done by the root. Indeed,
that must be done by the root for every TLD who wants to enable IPv6.
And there are good reasons to be very conservative with the handling of
the root service.

Randy also asked, what happens if an IPv6 only DNS resolver tries to get
information about an IPv4 domain. The obvious answer is to use a dual
mode server as proxy. However, this requires some configuration, which
Ngtrans should automatize. Now, that would would be a work item for this
group...

-- Christian Huitema

Home | Date list | Subject list