To: dnsop@cafax.se
Cc: dnssec@nlnetlabs.nl
From: ted@tednet.nl (Ted Lindgreen)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 15:49:40 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: DNSSEC and Parent SIG in Child zone

Hi,

First some background:

Since the beginning of this year NLnet Labs is working in a CENTRE
working group to install of DNSSEC in the ccTLD zones of .se, .de,
and .nl. We encountered a number of technical problems, but these
proved to be solvable. Now we are focussing on the organisational
aspects.

We have run into an organisational problem for which we have not
found an acceptabel solution. The problem lies in the SIG record
over the zone KEY.

The problem:

In the implementation of both Bind-8.2.2p5 and Bind-9 this SIG
record, which is generated by the parent, must be put into the
child zone (and may also be put into the parent zone).

Despite numerous attempts, we have sofar not found a solution to
synchronize a KEY update in a ccTLD zonefile with the necessary SIG
updates of the millions of zonefiles of its children. From experience
we know that a certain percentage of children can not be reached in
time to do this properly.
According to Cricket Liu (at the DNSSEC workshop in Sweden), the
percentage of unreachable children is estimated to be as high as 20%
for the .com zone. For some highly organized ccTLDs this percentage
may be smaller, but will still present a hugh number of zones.
Another number of child nameserver systems, may be temporily
unreachable due to network- or systemproblems, also preventing
timely synchronization.

The result is, that with every key-refresh of the large TLDs many
thousands and perhaps hundreds of thousands of zones will suddenly
have bad SIGs and will drop from the Internet.

A similar problem exists when signatures expire. Although this
problem is solvable (with overlapping validity) it will cause a
enormous (administratic) burden on registries, registrants and
zone-administrators.

The question:

Miek Gieben, one of the people from NLnet Labs working on the
procedural issues of DNSSEC at ccTLDs, has asked on the dnsext en
dnsops list, why the current Bind implementations require the
parents SIG over the zone-KEY to be present in the child zone.

Reason to ask this, is that there seems no security-technical reason
to have this SIG in the parent zonefile instead.
Having this SIG in the parent zone file, and only there, would solve
both above problems. (Then, like all other SIGs, also this SIG will
be in the same zonefile as the KEY which is used to generate it, and
synchronization is automatic).

>From responses by Edward Lewis, Mats Dufberg, and Jim Reid, we
understand that the current interpretation of RFC 2535 requires
the parents SIG over the childs zone-key to be in the childzone.

We now have a problem for which I ask advice from the community.
I see two possibilities:
1. We go ahead, and accept the administratic burden and also that
   a large number of zones drop from the Internet now and then.
2. We change the interpretation of RFC 2535.

As for 1, I guess that many (large) TLDs and/or its registrants will
not be able to implement DNSSEC and that many domainholders will
prefer being unsecure over the risk of disappearing completely.

As for 2, I'm unsure what the implications are.

Please advice,
-- Ted.

Home | Date list | Subject list