To: "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:42:41 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Statistics on IN-ADDR.ARPA hosts

> >  350, 12.25s -> Server failure (8% do NOT have a working IN-ADDR
> >                 server).
>
> Why so long. It shouldn't take 12 seconds for a server to figure out that
> it doesn't have a table available for a zone. More likely the server
> thinks that somebody else has the data and it's trying to contact that
> other somebody? This could be a result of aliased PTRs, connectivity
> problems, and other issues. In all cases the delegation is messed.

My guess is that its a zone delegated incorrectly.  I.e. the network
administrator hasn't bothered to let his DNS upstream know about his
server.

> Is this average time? Got a distribution?

This is the average time.  A distribution, queries on the Y axis,
seconds on the X axis, of this data set:

121.0 #
116.0 #
110.9 #
105.9 #
100.8 #
 95.8 #
 90.7 #
 85.7 #
 80.7 #
 75.6 #
 70.6 #
 65.5 #
 60.5 #
 55.5 ##
 50.4 ##
 45.4 ##
 40.3 ##
 35.3 ##                                                          #
 30.2 ###                                                         #
 25.2 ###                                                         #
 20.2 ### #                                                       #
      0                            40                            80

Nothing too surprising here.

> Were queries sent with RD?

I'm afraid I don't know what RD is.  Too damn much jargon on the
Internet.

Shane

Home | Date list | Subject list