To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:52:27 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Statistics on IN-ADDR.ARPA hosts

Okay, I got the list of hosts that connected to the RIPE Whois server
on 2000-08-16, and did some checking.

18367 unique hosts, 4441 of which had no host name

So about 24% didn't have a valid host name.  I ran the hosts without
names through a program that called gethostbyname() and returned the
h_errno and timed the lookup.  The results:

 176, 0.911s -> Successful lookups (meaning 4% of the original lookups
                work now).

3908, 0.637s -> Authoritative Answer Host not found (88% seem to have
                a working IN-ADDR server, albeit one giving incorrect
                answers, since the hosts clearly exist).

 350, 12.25s -> Server failure (8% do NOT have a working IN-ADDR
                server).

   7, 1.030s -> Valid name, no PTR record (???)

It looks like only 2% of the hosts in this sample have what I would
consider a true problem - the ones with a server failure who took an
average of 12 seconds to complete a DNS lookup.

In some sense this may be unimportant.  OTOH, if this is representative
of the larger Internet, and if 10% of the 1.1 billion announced IP's on
the Internet actually have an active host, then this over 2 million
computers.  2000000 hosts * 10 seconds * 1 DNS lookup is more than 230
days of poor schmucks waiting idly at their keyboards, wondering why
the Internet is so damn slow.  :)

Shane

Home | Date list | Subject list