To: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: marka@isc.org
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:02:44 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: wrt: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-00.txt

> > 	Can we kill this legend.
> >
> > 	Returning NXDOMAIN takes the same amount of time as returning
> > 	a PTR record.
> >
> > 	If there are delays it is not due to the DNS unless there is a
> > 	bad delegation.  A more usual cause is IDENT and firewalls that
> > 	block / do not generate ICMP responses.
>
> It's a simple 3 step process:
>
> Step 1:  Company changes DNS servers
> Step 2:  Company doesn't notify ARIN
> Step 3:  There's no step 3!

	Nothing special w.r.t. reverse zones here.  Companies do this with
	forward zones all the time, s/ARIN/registrar/.

	Note: I qualified my comments w/ "unless there is a bad
	delegation" which is what you are describing.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com