To: Mark.Andrews@nominum.com
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:21:20 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: wrt: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-00.txt

> 	Nothing special w.r.t. reverse zones here.  Companies do this with
> 	forward zones all the time, s/ARIN/registrar/.

Except that if my forward delegation doesn't work, nobody can come to
my web pages.  Even the CEO will notice that (well, after his secretary
points it out to him).  From the end user point of view, if forward
delegation doesn't work, the host isn't on the Internet (whatever "the
Internet" is).

Given the severity of the problem, the solution is going to be quickly
forthcoming.  In the IN-ADDR.ARPA case, the solution may never come,
which is what we're talking about here, I thought.

> 	Note: I qualified my comments w/ "unless there is a bad
> 	delegation" which is what you are describing.

Sorry about that.  Would it be a good idea do you think to do some spot
checking on the number of timeouts we see from the advertised space on
the Internet (on the theory that knowledge is better than ignorance)?
Or do you have numbers about NXDOMAIN returns versus timeouts on the
Internet that you can share?

Shane

Home | Date list | Subject list