To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:51:05 +0200
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: wrt: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-00.txt

> >   Technician: If your reverse DNS doesn't work, my friends on the 'net
> >               cannot help us to solve problems, and it _may_ be that
> >               we have problems reaching one or two ill-configured web
> >               sites out there.
>
> and many sites out there check before letting you web to them or even accept
> mail from you.

I don't know about "many".  After all, it is in the recipient's best
interest to receive mail!  I imagine most customers would be quite
concerned, and probably switch providers, if they reported that they
weren't getting certain mails, and the ISP started mumbling about the
sender "has incorrectly configured DNS IN-ADDR APRA".  To the customer,
this would sound like, "our dilithium crystals aren't aligned".

Here's the list of problems I've noted with incorrectly configured
IN-ADDR.ARPA:

1. IRC won't work very well (I don't know about AIM, ICQ, or any of
those happy new lightweight IRC replacements) - a lot of servers
require proper IN-ADDR for some reason

2. You can't download a lot of software with strong encryption, as a
lot of the sights distributing such software (incorrectly) use your
source IP to verify you're not trying to download software from one of
the 6 or 7 countries the Hill & Mr. Bill don't like

3. Connecting to some sights takes a bit longer - this is caused by the
server at the other end trying to tell you where you're coming from
(duh), and having to wait for DNS to timeout (e.g. "you are FTP user 13
of a maximum of 50, connecting from foo.bar.mil")

That's about it.  I've never noticed e-mail being dropped.

Shane

Home | Date list | Subject list