To: Alex Kamantauskas <alexk@tugger.net>
Cc: Shane Kerr <shane@ripe.net>, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:15:21 -0400
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: wrt: draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-00.txt

At 11:51 AM -0400 8/14/00, Alex Kamantauskas wrote:
> Is there a standard definition of "the Internet"?

Not so far as I know - in fact, in the US, "Internet" was (and may be still
is) a trademark held by a non-IP entity.  The/an automated bank teller
network (ATM's) was built by someone and they called it the Internet and
were granted a trademark.  This issue was debated by the ISOC board, they
presented reports on this at the most recent Washington, D.C., IETF.

I will say this, not in hopes of starting a flame war/red
herring/inappropriate thread, but in the hopes of clarifying my statement
that started this...

If I were to dial in to my home ISP and sent them Appletalk, and they
forwarded Appletalk to others, the IETF (again, whatever that is) cannot
stop this.  (Nor would I expect anyone to really want to.)

This is what I envisioned when I said there's nothing requiring I use IP...

PS - Appletalk, DECnet, NetBUI, insert your favorite protocol.

Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: lewis@tislabs.com

"It takes years of training to know when to do nothing" - Dogbert

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

Home | Date list | Subject list