To: dnsop@cafax.se
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@cr.yp.to>
Date: 24 Feb 2000 18:50:42 -0000
Subject: Re: latest Internet Domain Survey

David R. Conrad writes:
> Gosh, I'll have to tell Mark that every survey he's done since '91 can't be
> done since the nameserver he uses is too unstable.

My surveying software kills BIND. Every time.

This isn't news; we both know that the BIND cache dies under heavy load.
Anyone on the net can trivially take down your cache by tunneling a
bunch of DNS queries through your SMTP server, your web browser, etc.,
even if you restrict the IP addresses of queries.

Perhaps Mark's surveying software contacts the servers directly. My
software relies on a working cache. When I tell someone how to carry out
a big survey with my software, I'm not going to omit the essential step
of installing a cache that can handle the load.

---Dan

Home | Date list | Subject list