To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no>
Cc: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 03:03:24 -0800
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Last WG call for draft-ietf-dnsop-root-opreq-02.txt.

>>          3.3.3 Transfer of the root zone between root servers MUST be
>>!              authenticated and be as secure as reasonably possible.  Out
>>!              of band security validation of updates MUST be supported.
>>
> I don't understand what the second sentence means

that an operator should be able to verify that the updated data they have
received is authentic data by means of an information channel separate from
the one by which they received it.

an example might be to be able to request a fax of an md5 checksum of the
root zone.

randy

Home | Date list | Subject list