To: Mark_Andrews@isc.org, dnsop@cafax.se
From: "Robert G. Ferrell" <root@rgfsparc.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:11:51 -0500 (CDT)
Content-MD5: KzNDvQG0SiqO30HKfKORdQ==
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Topological Motivation for draft-ohta-root-servers-01.txt?

> 		no one is try to usurp anything.  The point of the draft
> 	is how do we provide *many* root (or tld) name servers on a single
> 	advertised IP address and manage them effectively.  Distribute route
> 	information, handle fault reporting. etc.

While this may seem a bit esoteric, it might be better from an overall
functional viewpoint to apply the "physical/logical" paradigm to DNS root server
hosting planning.

Political and geographical boundaries can be considered as physical topological
features; what we need to do is redraw those boundaries along Internet
bandwidth/node density lines and create the ideal distribution of root servers
based on this "logical" topology.

Of course, no matter now sensible and technically optimum any solution based on
logical topology is, the grim reality is that politics will play a very big role
in the final outcome, whether we like it or not.

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell
Internet Technologist
National Business Center-Texas, US DoI  rferrell@nbc.gov
private static class NT extends DOS implements Nothing {