To: Geoff Huston <gih@telstra.net>
cc: Mark_Andrews@isc.org, Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>, randy@psg.com, dnsop@cafax.se
From: marka@isc.org
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 22:58:45 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Topological Motivation for draft-ohta-root-servers-01.txt?

> >	It is the end customers.  They don't care if the root servers
> >	are in or outside the country they are currently in provide they
> >	get a reasonable level of service.  Neither should this draft.
> >
> >	The only places in the world where the end customer will be saying
> >	"I want a root server in the country because there is not one" are
> >	those countries where only way to get reasonable service levels is
> >	to have one in the country.  I've heard plenty of time "We need
> >	another root name server in Europe" but very seldom "We need
> >	another root name server in <pick a European country>".
> >
> >	I say we need servers in Australia because I know that there is no
> >	way to provide the service levels needed without physically
> >	locating the servers in Australia.  But Australia is large and it
> >	does not have close neighbours.
>

> I find it impossible to agree that one of 13 root nameservers should be
> located on an isloated island in the South Pacific with a population
> of a few fractions of a percent of the total world because one or two
> of the local inhabitants of that island feel that their needs usurp the
> legitimate needs of many hundreds of millions of others.
>
> I say we need root nameservers to make the DNS work efficiently for
> _everyone_. Given that statement we need to examine what is appropriate
> to make the technology work for all, and not a "lets pick my favourite
> country" nonsensical trash.
>

>    Geoff
>
> (some countries, like Australia, are not even comprehensively internally
> connected, and the transit across the street sometimes heads both around
> the globe and far out to space. Countries do NOT host root nameservers,
> its a network topology, reliability, and traffic optimisation thing.)

	Geoff,
		no one is try to usurp anything.  The point of the draft
	is how do we provide *many* root (or tld) name servers on a single
	advertised IP address and manage them effectively.  Distribute route
	information, handle fault reporting. etc.

	Ohta-san's premise is that every country needs a root name server.
	My premise is that every body / country needs good root name service.

	By good I mean response times over reasonable infrastructure in
	the order milliseconds to 10's of milliseconds, not as there is
	now of 100's of milliseconds.

	The only way Australia can have that level of service is for
	servers to be located in the country.  The physics does not
	allow them to be anywhere else.  This however is not the case
	in Europe or other places in the world.

	This is a arguement about what the premise should be in the
	draft.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org

Home | Date list | Subject list