To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
cc: Mark_Andrews@isc.org, hobbes@engin.umich.edu, dnsop@cafax.se
From: marka@isc.org
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 12:28:52 +1000
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Topological Motivation for draft-ohta-root-servers-01.txt?

> Mark;
>
> > 	I suspect that it would be better to say that the servers
> > 	need to be distributed so that there is, in general, not
> > 	the need to make inter-continental, trans-oceanic or
> > 	satellite hops.  All of these types of links introduce
> > 	large delays.
>
> I have never heard such reasoning to have multiple (root)
> servers.
>
> If you insist, it can be added, but:
>
> > 	Does < 100ms sound
> > 	like a good figure?
>
> are you saying that there should not be new root servers if the
> TTLs to existing ones is < 100ms?
>
> Note that it is not my business to fake a false or weakened reasoning
> to have a lot of root servers.
>
> 						Masataka Ohta

	I want root servers that are reachable in a timely manner.
	I don't want all the root servers to become unreachable due
	to single point of failure.

	For TCP streams it does not matter so much where the servers
	are as TCP is *not* a stop and go protocol.  DNS/UDP is
	however and the RTT is a big consideration in sighting root
	(and TLD) servers.  If the server is just over the border
	the is not necessarilly a good technical reason to have a
	root server in this country.  If the root server is a long
	way away topologically / RTT wise there is.

	If there is a root server in France I can see no good
	technical need to have one in Monaco.  Similarly Singapore
	w.r.t. Thialand.

	We should be defining the siting of servers on technical
	grounds not politcal ones.  If the are politcal reasons are
	strong enough they will influence the underlying technolgical
	interconnects enough that the technical solution will match
	the desired political one.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@isc.org

Home | Date list | Subject list