To: andras@dns.net (Andras Salamon)
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 99 12:49:45 JST
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Order in the working-group!

Andras;

> On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 09:50:39PM +0900, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> > As was discussed in MInneapolis, the source of possible problem is
> > advertisement of shared addreses, not unique ones.
>
> On a somewhat related note, has anyone looked at
> draft-catalone-rockell-hadns-00.txt?  (Implementation of a High
> Availability DNS System, by G. Catalone and R. Rockell, from Sprint.)
>
> Seems to me to share some ideas with
> draft-ietf-dnsop-shared-root-server-01.txt except it considers caching
> servers meeting local demand from within the AS, instead of root servers.

Interesting.

They might have applied my idea draft of which was available in May.

Or, they reached the same solution independently.

Anyway, routing tricks does not solve a failure of DNS server
on a host with perfectly working routing system.

Thus, we need multiple IP addresses of DNS servers to try.

Their proposal still increase the chance of survivability if
DNS server is unreachable becasue of routing problems,though.

> Perhaps the general principle of local address announcements for DNS
> servers is useful enough that both aspects can be considered at once?

As a demonstration to BGP-related WG on a possiblity to how to use
BGP wisely, maybe.

But, it is a bad idea to put everything into a single draft.

I even avoided to put things on gTLD servers.

							Masataka Ohta

Home | Date list | Subject list