To: randy@psg.com (Randy Bush)
Cc: bmanning@ISI.EDU (Bill Manning), dnsop@cafax.se (dns op wg)
From: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 04:42:28 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Experiments in multi-placed root servers

> > This tactic has been promoted over the last few years and has never been
> > shown to be a viable stratagy since the failure modes are so baroque as to
> > make debugging/troublshooting such events lifetime employment for certain
> > classes of engineers.
>
> your experience differs sufficiently from that of some others that the word
> 'never' seems hyperbolic.  e.g. we have used it sufficiently successfully
> to fool our customers and management, and with little effort.  i believe
> other large isps use the hack for various purposes.  and yes, some
> intelligence is needed.  but so is operating a serious netowrk.

	Well Randy, you (and your un-named co-conspirators) have certainly
	failed to document your widely used technique to bring stability
	to the Internet. I certainly have been fooled, (the Internet does
	-not- look stable from here) and I'm not even one of your customers
	or management (does your managment know/like to be fooled?)
	Please provide citation if such documentation
	has been made available or at least the proper keywords so I
	may point my browser in the right direction. (with a nod to
	Otha-san for popping out a draft on the same).

	One key problem is that this technique "buries" the server inside
	what effectivly is an ISP, which was rejected every single time
	is was proposed from 1993 - 1998, which is the only timeframe I
	can speak to.

	Issues tend to revolve around ambigious prefix injection and
	the lack of authentication in the routing system.

	The point of a DNSOPS activity is the operation of DNS, correct?
	Network operations are orthoginal to DNS service. In this respect
	DNS operates much like the RIRs.  They don't do routing.  It's
	a symbiotic relationship.

> imiho, it's probably mature enough to be tried for a root server.  but with
> the limitations and techniques discussed in the minneapolis meeting.

	imiho (?)
	Glad you (are you also speaking for your unnamed co-conspirators?)
	feel that way.  What is your feeling on taxation?  I think taxes
	are too high don't you?  Why does any of this discussion make any
	sense.  None of us are in a position to declare how the roots are
	placed or operated. That task is the IANAs, not a group of folks
	meeting in a BOF at a conference where protocols are designed.

--
--bill

Home | Date list | Subject list