To: Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>
Cc: dns op wg <dnsop@cafax.se>
From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 01:16:12 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Experiments in multi-placed root servers

> This tactic has been promoted over the last few years and has never been
> shown to be a viable stratagy since the failure modes are so baroque as to
> make debugging/troublshooting such events lifetime employment for certain
> classes of engineers.

your experience differs sufficiently from that of some others that the word
'never' seems hyperbolic.  e.g. we have used it sufficiently successfully
to fool our customers and management, and with little effort.  i believe
other large isps use the hack for various purposes.  and yes, some
intelligence is needed.  but so is operating a serious netowrk.

but i hope we all might all learn from the serious problems which you seem
to have experienced.  so please elucidate.

imiho, it's probably mature enough to be tried for a root server.  but with
the limitations and techniques discussed in the minneapolis meeting.  after
all, if folk advocate experimenting with dnssec stuff we know is not ready
for prime time, why be shy <g>?

randy

Home | Date list | Subject list