To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: dnsop@cafax.se
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:23:49 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DoS and anycast

On måndag, nov 4, 2002, at 16:15 Europe/Stockholm, Randy Bush wrote:

>> When _people_ see problems with data from one IP-address, they call
>> whatever party is responsible for that IP address.
>
> no, they call their isp.  the vast majority of them wouldn't know
> an ip address if it bit them on the butt.

Who do people at the ISP call?

Say I buy IP from ISP A, which in turn buy transit from B which buys
transit from C. If C internally have an anycast copy of IP address
1.2.3.4, and I send a packet to that address, will the packet go to the
copy of the 1.2.3.4 address at ISP C, or to ISP D where the "original"
is, the one which is mentioned in whois?

   paf