To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc: Bruce Campbell <bruce.campbell@ripe.net>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:53:15 +0100
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DoS and anycast

On måndag, nov 4, 2002, at 14:33 Europe/Stockholm, Randy Bush wrote:

>>> Under no circumstances whatsoever should Joe Random ISP be
>>> running anycast root.
>> Well, if they do it to their own network, thats their problem.
>> If they advertise reachability to it without prior approval,
>> thats everyone's problem.
>
> bingo!
>
> note that the large isps have been running anycast caches (and some
> auths) for many years.

I think we are sliding away from the original topic here, or?

The first sentence which was quoted said Joe Random ISP is to run one
of the anycast root servers. What Randy says is that one organization
controls all copies of some address which is anycasted.

For me, that is a very big difference.

I definitely want one and only one organization owning/controlling all
copies of the same IP-address.

I.e. mapping IP-address:AS-number:Organization is static.

    paf