To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
CC: Ben Stern <bstern@electromagnetic.net>, Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net>, Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU>, dnsop@cafax.se
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 22:38:07 +0859 ()
Sender: owner-dnsop@cafax.se
Subject: Re: DoS and anycast

Brad;

> >  I obviously cannot speak for other major ISPs, and am speaking here as an
> >  individual, not as a representative of AS2548, but I do not see anything
> >  obviously stopping various national carriers from anycasting the root, other
> >  than a) lack of obvious contacts at the roots, and b) lack of perceived
> >  authority. [0] [1]
>
> 	I don't trust them to do the job right.

That's why every ISP should run anycast root servers by itself
not relying on ones run by adjacent ISPs.

> I know a guy at AOL that I'd trust to do the
> nameservice side correctly, but I'm not sure I'd trust the networking
> guys to avoid screwing things up.

You are saying that, even if you securely retreive some address
from DNS, you do not trust the networking guys connect you to
a host of the address.

Then, there is no point of secure DNS.

> 	Then there's the issue of current DNS UDP truncation at the
> roots.  There's no way this would fit into ~500 bytes:

Sounds like you never took a look at "anycast".

With UDP without truncation, we can run millions of root servers.

							Masataka Ohta