To: Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>
Cc: keydist@cafax.se, smb@research.att.com, jis@MIT.EDU
From: Richard Shockey <rshockey@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 22:30:58 -0400
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: I intend to have a document ready for Atlanta on this subject.

At 03:50 AM 10/4/2002 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>Richard Shockey <rshockey@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > Actions by the DNS Extensions WG in bringing forward for Proposed
> > Standard "Limiting the Scope of the KEY Resource Record"
> > [RESTRICT-KEY] clearly signal the consensus in the IETF that
> > applications SHOULD NOT directly use the DNS for the storage of keys.
>
>The text in the draft claimed that this signal should not be infered.
>(The existence of the draft in the first place sends such a signal
>though since the KEY RR was designed to hold application keys.)

Thats the way I read it .. but I also believe KEY RR is not flexible or
descriptive enough given the diverse application environment we are facing.

>Otherwise I like your text (I agree with Greg Hudson's comments
>though).

I appreciate well reasoned arguments. :-)

>The position that we should wait for deployed implementation of
>opportunistic security before it is standardized in the IETF seems
>strange to me.  If that happened, there would be no need for
>standardization.  We have had prototype implementations of these
>concepts for several years now, and some experimental deployment of
>them too.  Standardization of the concepts is what is lacking, not
>implementations.

Amen I totally agree .. Its time to do the work. This needs to be
standardized first. Again I support a new BOF on the subject and I would be
delighted to assist with BOF applicability statement, applications to the
security AD's etc.

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard@shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey@neustar.biz>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>

Home | Date list | Subject list