To: Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com>
cc: David Conrad <david.conrad@nominum.com>, Key Distribution <keydist@cafax.se>
From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:17:47 -0700
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Global PKI on DNS?

> Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> writes:
>
> > Let's take a step back here: The message I was responding to was just
> > suggesting shoving X.509 certs into the DNS. I don't think that's of
> > much value. This is a different question from whether some parallel
> > DNS-based PKI would be of value.
>
> The value is the ability to use the existing infrastructure where:
>         a) the naming is the same (domain names)
>         b) the "delegations" are the same (domain names)
>         c) you need this out-of-band certificate lookup capability.
Yes, I know these arguments. My point was that that wasn't the
issue I was addressing.

> There are multiple issues going on here.  One issue is using DNS
> _purely_ as a certificate lookup/distribution technology, where
> applications verify the certificate themselves.  When the certificate
> is naming domain-name-like entities, it would seem that re-using the
> existing distributed database based on the same names would be a major
> win.
Except that, as I said, many of the important protocols already have
their own distribution mechanisms. Those mechanisms are vastly easier
than using DNS.

> > , but I also don't think it's that
> > important or valuable. People can't even be bothered to get
> > certificates now, let alone arrange for their admin to cram them
> > in the DNS.
>
> Well, others seem to feel that this is either important or valuable.
> Since you don't have any objection to the concept, then perhaps we can
> still move forward.
I'd like to understand what's being moved forward with, first, namely,
a cert distribution solution or a full PKIX replacement.

-Ekr

Home | Date list | Subject list