To: Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com>
cc: David Conrad <david.conrad@nominum.com>, Key Distribution <keydist@cafax.se>
From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:58:18 -0700
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Global PKI on DNS?

> > > More specifically, as far as I can tell (and, of course, I'm not a "card
> > > carrying credentialed security person", so I shouldn't speak out of turn,
> > > but...), none of the myriad existing key distribution mechanisms have been
> > > deployed on anything like a significant scale.
> >
> > Huh? You must have somehow missed the millions of SSL sites on the net.
>
> I am a "card carrying credentialed security person", so let me pipe
> in. ;)
I don't remember seeing your card.

> Eirc, SSL != (TLS, IPsec, OpenPGP).  I'll buy that SSL == TLS, but
> that wasn't the original question.  IPsec, OpenPGP, and S/MIME all
> have the key distribution problem.  You may argue that IPsec can solve
> the problem the same way that SSL/TLS does by each endpoint sending
> its signed cert to the peer, however that presupposes a global PKI
> (which really doesn't exist) in order to have arbitrary communication.
> Just look at the trouble the FreeS/WAN people have had with their
> opportunistic encryption.
Let's take a step back here: The message I was responding to was just
suggesting shoving X.509 certs into the DNS. I don't think that's of
much value. This is a different question from whether some parallel
DNS-based PKI would be of value.

> > In any case, I'm not sure what you mean by "key distribution
> > mechanisms". The protocols in question typically have a way for one
> > peer to give the other their certificate. This is vastly easier
> > than trying to insert a certificate into some DNS server.
>
> No, they don't.  Many protocols ignore the question of how certs are
> obtained, they just assume they exist and are distributed "somehow."
> For exmaple, if I want to send you a PGP message (or S/MIME message) I
> need to have your cert before I contact you.
All of the interactive protocols have their own mechanisms. AS I said,
the screw cases are the store and forward encryption protocols,
i.e. S/MIME and PGP. PGP at least has it's own certificate
distribution mechanism (in fact, more than one).

I don't have any basic objection to using DNS as a certificate
distribution system for S/MIME, but I also don't think it's that
important or valuable. People can't even be bothered to get
certificates now, let alone arrange for their admin to cram them
in the DNS.

-Ekr

Home | Date list | Subject list