To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Cc: Key Distribution <keydist@cafax.se>
From: David Conrad <david.conrad@nominum.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:19:42 -0700
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Global PKI on DNS?

[Everything but keydist removed from the ccs]

On 6/11/02 8:14 PM, "Keith Moore" <moore@cs.utk.edu> wrote:
> well, all of the above is sort of besides the point, because you really
> don't need to use DNS to return certs

You don't _need_ to use the Internet, postal mail still works.  Of course,
there may be efficiencies if you use an existing systems.

>  (and there are a lot of problems
> with doing so)

OK, I'll bite.  What are those problems?

> you still get to leverage DNS if you simply define a way
> to use DNS to obtain certs with a different protocol (say, using SRV
> records).

Of course, but then you have to do all the cache handling yourself.  On the
serving side, you also have to come up with a way of doing redundancy and
reliability.

But hey, coming up with new protocols that do the same thing as old
protocols is fun, so why not?

Rgds,
-drc

Home | Date list | Subject list