To: Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>
cc: James Seng <jseng@pobox.org.sg>, <keydist@cafax.se>, Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
From: Mats Dufberg <dufberg@telia.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 22:32:03 +0200 (CEST)
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Let's assume DNS is involved

On Apr 6, 2002, 10:00 (+0200) Simon Josefsson <simon+keydist@josefsson.org>...:

> I wish people that used this argument would explain what the problem
> is, I haven't seen any convincing argument so far.  The only argument
> seem to be that it would increase the load on root servers or that it
> would increase bandwidth to all DNS servers.  Noone has been able to
> prove the first statement, and the second one is a poor argument.
> Someone with limited bandwidth to their DNS server will simply not use
> this stuff.  Neither will it use DNSSEC or anything else that also
> increses bandwidth requirements.

Adding application keys into DNS will only increase the load of the
servers with the zone with the key, and they are the ones that want them
to be there. Data from the root zone and TLD zone will allready be cached
from the query of the A record.

Mats

Mats Dufberg				             Registry TeliaNet
dufberg@telia.net                                  Skanova/AO Networks
+46 8 456 7274                                               Box 10707
+46 70 258 2588                                    SE-121 29 Stockholm