To: Edward Lewis <lewis@tislabs.com>
Cc: keydist@cafax.se
From: RJ Atkinson <rja@extremenetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:52:55 -0500
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: Let's assume DNS is involved

On Thursday, March 28, 2002, at 10:37 , Edward Lewis wrote:

> For the purpose of this thread, I will assume that DNS
> is a crucial element in the distribution of keys.

	I suspect the folks who are objecting in the previous thread
would/will suggest that the above assertion is unreasonable
as an assumption.  I'm a bit more sympathetic, but I also
think the above assertion is unreasonable to just assume
into existence.

	I think you'd make more progress if you started with a clear
crisp rationale justifying the premise above.  One of the main
problems with the BOF was the lack of justification for the above
premise during the BOF.  Someone needs to clearly and crisply
answer the question below (to the satisfaction of most folks,
not necessarily everyone) before working on the mechanical
details of how DNSsec-based key distribution should work:

	What problem is being solved by DNSsec-based distribution
	of signed keys that is not equally easily solved by use of
	certificates ?  And why are certificates not an equally
	good solution to that problem ?

Cheers,

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com