To: <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
Cc: "Keith Moore" <moore@cs.utk.edu>, "Edward Lewis" <lewis@tislabs.com>, <keydist@cafax.se>
From: "Mike Petkevich" <michael_petkevich@bmc.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 00:38:33 -0800
Sender: owner-keydist@cafax.se
Subject: Re: My take on the BoF session

>>Complex, hard-to-use security systems are either (a) not deployed, or
>>(b) misconfigured or (c) have bugs due to the complexity.

>>Any of these result in reduced security relative to a less-complex,
>>deployable alternative.

Agreed, but that where our jobs are. Notice how simple it is to use
https:/amazon.com or like. The merchant does not care who you are, you may
be intersted in his identity only. You can be asked to accept a trusted root
on  a way :(

There is no one-size-fits-all security model, but a few well known models:
anonymous/privacy, server authentication, mutual client/server
authentication. When explained, people make a choice consistent with their
requirements, DoD and serious banks go with mutual auth and agree to follow
guidelines.

There may be people who would be happy to use anonymous DH only for privacy,
provided that MIM is ruled out.

Thus the tradeoff  can be defined.

The nature of a problem has to do with  the low entropy of a secure
environment vs outside chaos. It just not possible to maintain secure
environment for free, user has to keep a block of ice.

Regards,
Mike.